We will consider any work in any genre, based on its merit, not on market value.
Authors Seeking a Publisher: we offer non-exclusive, equal profit-share publishing contracts, and publish in ebook and/or printed formats (PoD). We work in partnership with our authors.
[More on Submissions]
Independent Authors: for authors wishing to stay completely independent, we provide a range of competitively priced publishing services via our 'sister company', InRoad Publishing.
Information for Resellers: we would love for you to sell our books in your shop/store - wholesale discount available.
[More on Reselling]
We are currently accepting submissions for publication.
Because we are what you might call a 'hybrid' publisher, whilst we do not pay advances, we also do not take editorial control, nor claim exclusivity over your work. We will engage in some marketing on your behalf, but ultimately this remains the author's responsibility.
We publish via 'print on demand', which means we don't need to worry about whether your book is going to be the 'next big thing', giving us freedom to publish what we like rather than what is currently most popular. Thus, when we consider a submission, we judge it only on the basis of whether we can recuperate the time and money we invest into publishing it.
If we feel we are unable to publish your book for you, we will always explain why. As you will see on InRoad Publishing, we also offer a range of self-publishing services and can still help you to get your book out there in print and/or ebook formats. These services are available to all independent authors - we aren't in this for big profits, so you will find that our rates are very reasonable and we are also open to negotiation. This is genuinely not a means to lure you in and then rip you off, and we do not charge authors to publish their books. If we offer you a publishing contract, we take all of the risk, in return for 50% of net profit on sales. If this will leave us 'out of pocket' (for instance, if your work has a very specific and small market) then we are happy to provide a no-obligation quotation so you can self-publish.
To submit your work for consideration, please contact us via the Beaten Track Contact page in the first instance, explaining a little about the work you will be submitting and whether you are seeking to be published, or contact us via the InRoad Publishing Contact page for paid-for services.
We usually require manuscripts to be sent via email in a standard document format, such as .doc (Microsoft Word document) or .rtf (Rich Text Format), although this might not be appropriate (for illustrated books, for example), so when we respond to your message, we will discuss/suggest the most convenient means of submitting your work.
NOTE: we conduct our business electronically, which means we do not usually meet with authors face to face. The address published on our website is a postal address only, not business premises. However, we are prepared to meet with authors if circumstance necessitates.
We would love for you to sell our books in your shop/store. Here's what you need to know:
- Our physical books are published via LSI print-on-demand, and they are available via Ingram and Bertrams distribution.
- We can also sell directly to resellers, should you find the financial return unfavourable purchasing via your usual distribution service. We can offer a discount of 30% of the retail (cover) price. Further discount may be available for bulk purchases (over 100 copies).
- Our primary business is online, therefore we do not as a matter of course, deal with physical book stores.
- We are unable to offer credit. We are too small, and our profit margins are slim.
- Thus, if you wish to order any of our books in any quantity, in the first instance, please contact us for a quotation. We ship directly from LSI to anywhere in the world. The cost of your order will usually be 70% of the book's cover price x quantity ordered + shipping/handling.
- If you are purchasing stock for a specific event (such as a launch), you will need to place your order at least two weeks in advance. LSI do offer an express service, but it is costly.
- We will not order or ship books until payment is received.
- These arrangements do not preclude arrangements you make directly with the author.
Please feel free to contact us for further information or if you have any questions.