About the Author:Debbie McGowan is a teacher and lecturer in the social sciences, currently residing in the dark recesses of Lancashire, England. She is the author of several books to date, including 'And The Walls Came Tumbling Down' (2010), 'Champagne' (highblue, 2004) and contributed to the 'The Story Salon Big Book of Stories' (iUniverse, 2006). She enjoys spending her time at home with her family and dogs, cooking occasionally and of course writing.
Detailed Information:Haunted by the abuse of his now missing father, seventeen year old Sammy stumbles upon the seedy world of drug addiction and prostitution of London's West End in the 1980s. Cold, desperate and exhausted, he takes shelter in a trash-filled alley behind a strip club, unaware that what is about to unfold will change the course of his life.
Set during a period of significant social and cultural change in the early 1980's, Champagne opens up a world of seedy revue bars, prostitution, abuse, drug addiction and the devastating effect of AIDS. Centred around the events of a declining revue bar and its regeneration, a young man comes of age and finds his first love whilst looking for his estranged, abusive father. Through dark humour and strong characterisation the book is not only eye opening but also manages to capture a truly unique time in popular culture.
Other Publications by Debbie McGowan:
- Breaking Waves (HBTC novella)
- In The Stars Part II: Cancer-Sagittarius (HBTC #5)
- In The Stars Part I: Capricorn-Gemini (HBTC #4)
- Double Six
- First Christmas (HBTC novella)
- The Harder They Fall (HBTC #3)
- Beginnings (HBTC novella)
- No Time Like The Present (HBTC #2)
- Hiding Behind The Couch (HBTC #1)
- No Dice
- And The Walls Came Tumbling Down
- Time to Go (in Story Salon Big Book of Stories)