BOUGHS OF EVERGREEN - A HOLIDAY ANTHOLOGY... November 21st, 2014.
Giveaway, fundraising for The Trevor Project, preorder now...
- Hans Hirschi - Boughs of Evergreen, his story and The Trevor Project
- Boughs of Evergreen: a holiday anthology with a difference
- Rainbow Book Awards 2014 finalists: Unbroken and It's Like This
- Tim on Broadway and Between the Tides - two new releases PLUS a Giveaway!
- Pinkeens to Diddies - Interview with author David R. McCabe
- It's Like This, plus meet Magical Tragical Edward and Arthur Magennis: new releases, apologies, hopeful promises...
- Let's Talk About Sex - A Roundtable
- Lambda Literary Award Finalist - Unbroken by Larry Benjamin
- Unbroken - a novel from Larry Benjamin
- Hiding Behind The Couch Video Trailer
- Damaged Angels paperback? Don't mind if we do!
- Matt on a Bike, plus website update - a bit of spit and polish
- Book Signings: The Scorned Wife; The Harder They Fall
- Next Big Thing Blog Hop (repost from Goodreads)
- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Kindle? Here's some we made earlier...
- Crush UK, One Act Plays For Boys and more to follow...
- A Quick Update...
- As promised: Review of What Binds Us by Larry Benjamin
- Writing, Reading - What Binds Us? An Interim Review
- Editor or censor: two hats, one job? Updates and Additions
- An old game of two halves - Previews and Latest Additions
- Amazon Breatkthrough Novel Award
- Meeting the need to read
- Back on the Beaten Track...
- NaNoWriMo #07: a message from deep in NaNoLand
Beaten Track Publishing Blog
Updates on our latest publications; guidance and advice on self-publishing, previews; reviews and syndicated posts from respected authors.
It's true. Three years ago, Beaten Track was formed, not with the intention of setting up specific imprints, or publishing specific genres, but to help independent authors polish their work and get it out there. As such, we have fiction, non-fiction, for adults, young adults and children, fantasy, romance, contemporary fiction, mystery/thrillers, memoirs...
It was, and still is (to paraphrase Larry Benjamin a little) about giving voice to the unheard. We make no apologies for that.
However, what is happening, organically perhaps, is that our publications for "grown-ups" (used loosely and not in the same way as "adult" fiction) are by and large one of two "genres":
- Relationships and Romance
If this seems silly, it's because we think it is. Relationships and Romance are what they are, so you won't find them in their own little corner of our website, and this distinction will become even less appparent when our redesigned site goes live. For ease of searching, we'll let you know if the stories have a specific focus, or include adult content. Otherwise we don't segregate. We think segregation is bad.
That's the preamble. Here are our current new releases, and there's one of each of the above.
Tim on Broadway - Season One (The Full Season)
by Rick Bettencourt
(15th September, 2014)
See box below for giveaway details - ends 15th September!
Carolyn Sohier, the Greta Garbo of divas, is giving a once in a lifetime concert that Tim can't afford to attend. Tim - an overweight, twenty-something virgin - regrets lending the hunky bag boy at the grocery store money that could have bought him a ticket. Tim needs to call in his debts, but money isn't the only thing holding him back.
The first time Tim met Javier, he was blown away by the attention. As an overweight, twenty-something virgin, he didn't often - actually ever - get a guy, let alone a hot one, pay attention to him. The problem, Javier is straight; yet he gives Tim mixed messages. Tim can't get Javier off his mind, unless he is pursuing his love for theater - or talking with his best friend, Julia, about the "unattainable" crushes they share on some of the guys back home.
With the Carolyn Sohier concert fasting approaching, Tim struggles to get tickets. If he hadn't lent Javier the money to, well, have his way with him in the beer cooler at the store they worked at together, maybe Tim wouldn't have lost his job, and would be able to see Carolyn perform. But Tim's learned his lesson from all this…or so he thinks.
NOTE: this is an 18+ publication, and contains sexual content between consenting male adults.
Between the Tides: A Lancashire Youth
by Charles Moseley
(1st September, 2014)
This moving, thoughtful, wry book is memoir, social history, and elegy for an almost forgotten world. It looks steadily and honestly at the varied texture of that world, from gutting fish off Iceland to working on the buses, from having formal high tea with the Great Aunts to delivering meat on a bicycle, from sharp memories of a fifty-in-a-class primary school to trying for a scholarship to Cambridge University – and leaving that lost world for ever.
"A compelling memoir...fascinating."
"A beautifully observed portrait of a lost world...a voice that is wise, engaging, and humane."
Dr Fred Parker
"...a tender elegy for a vanished England and a moving evocation of boyhood..."
S. J. Parris
"...an enthralling book about the magic of the ordinary, the author's recalling of his young life in a world so close to and so different from ours. It's wise, and funny, and sad, and beautifully written."
Professor Helen Cooper
"Writing that matters, about what matters – the mystery of our being human."
Nicole Jouve Ward