- New Release: Haven's Revenge by Phetra H. Novak
- New Release: Shorts - Stories from Beneath the Rainbow by Hans M Hirschi
- New Release: Picture Us by Shayla Mist
- Uber Release Day! New Stories from Claire Davis and Al Stewart, Ofelia Gränd, and Debbie McGowan
- BIKE BOOK REVIEWS!!: SPIN PLAY RELEASE DAY REVIEW! (repost)
- New Release: Spin Play by Alexis Woods
- New Release: Mission Accomplished by Sheila Kendall
- New Release: Jonathan's Promise by Hans M Hirschi
- Paperback Release: Merzougaville, Baby by Stuart Ayris
- New Release: Turnabout by Jonathan Penn
- Love Unlocked - Blog Tour, Release Day...
- Slaves to Creativity - why we need to stop doing stuff for free
- TellTales Online, new style of book use off/online
- Larry Benjamin: This Writer's Life: Vampire Rising & Its Angel Number: An Explanation
- NEW RELEASE: Vampire Rising by Larry Benjamin
- Summer Bigger Than Others
- Willem of the Tafel Release Day -- Editor Review and Purchase Links
- BIKE BOOK REVIEWS!!: UNBROKEN REVIEW!!
- BIKE BOOK REVIEWS!!: BEATEN TRACK SPOTLIGHT:
- New Releases of the paranormal variety - An Unquiet Past, Ruminations and Silent Woods
- Old and New Experiences Help Youths Coming Out - a Boughs of Evergreen added extra brought to you by Amelia Mann
- Hans Hirschi - Boughs of Evergreen, his story and The Trevor Project
- Boughs of Evergreen: a holiday anthology with a difference
- Rainbow Book Awards 2014 finalists: Unbroken and It's Like This
- Tim on Broadway and Between the Tides - two new releases PLUS a Giveaway!
Beaten Track Publishing Blog
Updates on our latest publications; previews; reviews and syndicated posts from respected authors.
Author: Shayla Mist
Genre: LGBT, Romance and Relationships, Short Stories, Adult
Published: 2nd June, 2016
Length: 18,000 words (72 pages) approx.
ISBN: 978 1 78645 053 1
Formats: ebook (epub, mobi, PDF)
Chance has lost two things in the past year: his only remaining family and his passion for photography. He didn't expect to get any of them back or to gain anything new, until he finds out his childhood crush, Terrance, is gay. But either Terrance isn't interested in him or he has a real hang-up about dating younger men. Can Chance make him change his mind?
* * * * *
Shayla Mist writes the quirkiest short stories that are lighthearted and fun, yet not, because they do that thing - as life does - of juxtaposing blossoming romance against the big ugly stuff, on this occasion, the loss of one's family.
But that's how love (and its variant forms) works. It doesn't wait for the right moment. It just happens, and we can fight it all we want, pretend to not feel it, or attempt to postpone it until the timing is better, but if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.
So that's where we find poor Chance, who's lost his only remaining family, and Terrance, the family friend who is young enough to have loved Chance's aunt and uncle as if they were his own parents yet old enough for both Chance and Terrance to question the appropriateness of their feelings towards each other. It's all legal - they're both adults, but it can be difficult, even later in adulthood, to perceive the child we knew in adolescence as a fully grown adult.
Then there's Chance's BFF, who is fabulous. He needs a book of his own. Really. It would be so much fun.
I love the characters, the setting, the setup. This short story / novella (18k) leans towards classic M/M Romance and doesn't pretend to be anything else. Thus, you can expect a bit of sexy time along the way, and an ending that will make you go "Awww!"
* * * * *
About Shayla Mist
Shayla made her debut in the writing world during elementary school with a heart-breaking story about how her grandma's chicks died from an unknown disease. It was published in the school newspaper, spurring a significant amount of pitiful looks directed her way. Being a stubborn Aquarius, she kept on striving, publishing cheesy love poetry, an endeavor that thankfully proved to be far more successful. Her writing life changed dramatically when she read her first yaoi manga and discovered her real calling. Imagining guys together has become her favorite pastime.
Aside from writing, daydreaming about men and devouring any M/M book she can get her hands on and, she also loves manga, kpop, jrock, classical music, crafts and art. An earnest romantic, she's always been convinced there's a soulmate out there, searching for her. It appears he's been lost. Maybe word hasn't gotten to him that cars are faster than white horses. In case you've seen a prince on a white horse (though a sports car would be preferable), Shayla would very much appreciate if you let her know.
* * * * *