- New Release: Haven's Revenge by Phetra H. Novak
- New Release: Shorts - Stories from Beneath the Rainbow by Hans M Hirschi
- New Release: Picture Us by Shayla Mist
- Uber Release Day! New Stories from Claire Davis and Al Stewart, Ofelia Gränd, and Debbie McGowan
- BIKE BOOK REVIEWS!!: SPIN PLAY RELEASE DAY REVIEW! (repost)
- New Release: Spin Play by Alexis Woods
- New Release: Mission Accomplished by Sheila Kendall
- New Release: Jonathan's Promise by Hans M Hirschi
- Paperback Release: Merzougaville, Baby by Stuart Ayris
- New Release: Turnabout by Jonathan Penn
- Love Unlocked - Blog Tour, Release Day...
- Slaves to Creativity - why we need to stop doing stuff for free
- TellTales Online, new style of book use off/online
- Larry Benjamin: This Writer's Life: Vampire Rising & Its Angel Number: An Explanation
- NEW RELEASE: Vampire Rising by Larry Benjamin
- Summer Bigger Than Others
- Willem of the Tafel Release Day -- Editor Review and Purchase Links
- BIKE BOOK REVIEWS!!: UNBROKEN REVIEW!!
- BIKE BOOK REVIEWS!!: BEATEN TRACK SPOTLIGHT:
- New Releases of the paranormal variety - An Unquiet Past, Ruminations and Silent Woods
- Old and New Experiences Help Youths Coming Out - a Boughs of Evergreen added extra brought to you by Amelia Mann
- Hans Hirschi - Boughs of Evergreen, his story and The Trevor Project
- Boughs of Evergreen: a holiday anthology with a difference
- Rainbow Book Awards 2014 finalists: Unbroken and It's Like This
- Tim on Broadway and Between the Tides - two new releases PLUS a Giveaway!
Beaten Track Publishing Blog
Updates on our latest publications; previews; reviews and syndicated posts from respected authors.
Author: Hans M Hirschi
Genre: Crime, Thrillers and Mystery, LGBT, Humour, Romance and Relationships, Short Stories, Literary, Adult
Published: 9th July, 2016
Length: 78,000 words (254 pages) approx.
ISBN: Paperback: 978 1 78645 059 3 / eBook: 978 1 78645 060 9 / ASIN: B01GMVWN46
Formats: ebook (epub, mobi, PDF)
"Shorts - Stories from Beneath the Rainbow" is a collection of LGBTQ-themed short stories. In happy or dire circumstances, this collection offers glimpses into contemporary LGBTQ life from many different angles and perspectives, and from diverse cultures -
a beggar trying to survive, the mother of a drug addict, a groom on his wedding day, a gay family running from impending war, a refugee above the Arctic circle, a bullied kid, a gay man witnessing a crime, a rushed middle-aged man, a banker in love, a lesbian mom in Las Vegas, a public servant getting ready for her intern, an Alzheimer patient in Bombay, a cop in Los Angeles, a doctor in Atlanta, a man celebrating Christmas on his own, a ruthless killer, a survivor of a WWII concentration camp
- all different, yet alike in their humanity.
"Shorts - Stories from Beneath the Rainbow" is a kaleidoscope, a colorful sample of the rainbow in its true form: life.
* * * * *
This collection of short stories from Hans M Hirschi is, in some ways, very different from his previous works, the first and most obvious being that he usually writes novels, whereas the longest story in this collection - 'Nightmare' - is 10,600 words. Hans also usually writes exclusively about gay men's experience - not surprisingly, given he is a gay man. More than that, he's a vocal member of the LGBTQ community, both on and offline, and is undoubtedly an inspiration to many.
In this collection, Hans explores a number of different LGBTQ identities in different settings and from different walks of life. I won't repeat what's in the blurb (see above), but there are representations of lesbian, gay and trans* identities within these stories. In some cases, the character's identity is the main driver of the narrative; for instance, 'Alex' explores what is tragically too common an experience of LGBTQ youth, and other stories also tackle life-threatening discrimination. Then there are stories, such as 'Sandra's Grandma' and 'The Scarf', that incidentally feature an LGBTQ character.
In all, this is a fairly eclectic collection - crime thrillers, romances, family sagas and snapshots - of mostly contemporary tales of life beneath the rainbow. And just as in real life, there are gentle, loving characters who readers will want to hug and wrap up in a warm snuggly blanket, and there are characters who readers will want to throttle (with a scarf).
* * * * *
About Hans M Hirschi
Hans M Hirschi has been writing stories since childhood. As an adult, the demands of corporate life put an end to his fiction for more than twenty years. A global executive in training, he has traveled the world and published several non-fiction titles as well as four well-received novels. The birth of his son provided him with the opportunity to rekindle his love of creative writing, where he expresses his deep passion for a better world through love and tolerance. Hans lives with his husband and son on a small island off the west coast of Sweden.
* * * * *